Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What Inspires You? by Sharon


What inspires you? My teenage daughter and I took a road trip last weekend. It was a six cd trip, literally. I let her choose the music. For the most part it was very enjoyable. When her newest acquisition started I was a bit concerned, it was rather risque. By the second song I loved the guy. By the third song, I had her jotting down notes in my "car" idea book. The song that really hit a nerve for me was called Roots. It is something anyone who has had struggles to improve their lives can relate to. The artist is Flo Rida. I hope you get a chance to listen to it. As Randy Jackson would say, "We've got a hot one, tonight!"

You can find inspiration anywhere...in an old picture album...a favorite book...a memory box...or in your teenager's cd collection. What inspires you?

Happy writing!

6 comments:

Tess said...

Is it boring to say books? Well, that's the truth for me. If I quit reading, I usually hit a writers slump. It doesn't even matter what I read....non fiction, mags, whatever.

Beautiful photo, Sharon. Photos also inspire me -- can you see the story in that one? I'd love to read it someday.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I drive Walt crazy with my picutre taking. I have tons of them. They inspire me too.

I love reading too. I'm reading Twisted by Laurie Anderson right now...it's research...

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

I am inspired by encouragement. Sad but true. I grew up with a doting mama and nothing motivates me more than someone telling me I am great at something...even if I'm not.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Amy, you must have had a lot of encouragement, because you are a great writer...and I'm not saying that to encourage you. I'm saying it because you are having an outstanding 2009, and we are only four months into the year.

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

Yes -- plenty of months left for things to fall apart and go to crap.

;) just kidding Sapph. I appreciate the nice words...and the encouragement.

Diana said...

Here's a quote from Charles Olson about writing:

These Days
Whatever you have to say, leave
the roots on, let them
dangle
And the dirt
Just to make clear
where they come from.

It seems to match that picture of yours, Sharon. :) The poem came from the "Voice" workshop. Sorry, just tell me if I'm getting REALLY ANNOYING with the workshop thing, okay?
Sometimes I just like to pick up a thesaurus and find words that are cool...sometimes it will uncork a memory or remind me of a sound, or conjure up a picture in my head. It's fun, too, to find out where a word comes from...
So, I guess my answer is "words"...
and poetry
and pictures
and music
and people who are brave
:)