Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Have you ever wondered about... By Sharon aka Sapphire



Have you ever wondered about the history of toilets? I think about it quite often. I was raised in a small rural village in England. The home I remember the most only had tap water in the kitchen. In other words, no toilet, tub or shower! The walk down the path to the loo seemed like it was miles. You had to walk past the swing, the garden, the apple tree, and the shed. My best friend convinced me there was a witch living in the shed. I'm pretty sure she was just messing with me. I remember when her dad bought home a portable toilet that we all shared in a shed next to our row of houses. I wonder who emptied the portable? Where did they empty it? Oh, now I'm really starting to worry...I'll try and refocus. The photograph is of a toilet in a Roman fort on Hadiran's Wall in the north of England. In the center of the photo is a long "bowl" this is where the Romans kept the sponges they used to wipe there you know whats with...They sat along the edge and grabbed a sponge when needed. I guess in retrospect, the walk to the toilet and the portable toilet weren't so bad. At least I didn't have to sit with a bunch of Romans and share sponges. Ick!

No comments: