Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Memories of Last July

by Mjr. Moron

So--I was looking up Heidi's address today in my Chautauqua conference book, and I found the little notebook/journal I kept while I was there. OMG. I was such a goofball, I can't believe any of you ever spoke to me, other than poor Robin who was my captive audience all the way from Erie.

Here are a few choice highlights--sadly verbatim (Kimmee, THIS is how you get to be a MAJOR Moron):

7/12/08
Pre-opening dinner thoughts:

-why? why didn't I bring liquid eyeliner?
-why didn't I try on this stupid orange skirt before I left so I could see that it shrank in the dryer?
-why am I so sticky?
-is it time yet?
-why don't I own a watch?
-Ah--humidity. I'd forgotten what that's like.
-why did I agree to a room with no air conditioning?
-OH MY GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY HAIR?
-maybe I can put my sunglasses on my hair and hold it down.
-maybe I could put my belt on my hair to hold it down.
-why didn't I bring a belt?
-i think it's time to go.
-please, whatever gods may exist here, please don't let me be too afraid to talk to anyone.
-especially the famous ones.
-but don't let me say anything stupid.
-guess I better go.
-HEY! Where do I go?

4 comments:

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Good for you...you kept a journal of our time there. I wrote little notes by everyones pictures.

Tess said...

Did you really write all that down? Hilarious! Now that I think about it, I do remember you wearing your sunglasses on your head quite a bit....

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

That's 'cause I didn't bring a belt for my hair!

Yes--I really did write all that down.

Diana said...

LOL, Amy! I think we were all a little self conscious that first day. And I remember I DID say something totally stupid to Christine Clark when we were at dinner. I can't remember what I said now, but all during dinner my stupid comment kept replaying in my head.
Ah, well...