Thursday, April 23, 2009

How Many Have you Read? by Sharon


I am nine books away from reading 100 books since the WAD was formed in July. I have read 60 picture books, 17 mid-grade/easy reader chapter books, 8 young adults, 2 adult novels and 4 non-fiction books. About two months ago I began taking notes as I read each book. For the picture books, I not only jotted down about the ups and downs of the storyline, but also how many pages there were of actual text. In the books I am using to research the World War II (in England) era, I made notes of language, setting, and behaviors that would be unusual here in the United States. I think by actively taking notes as I'm reading, I am gaining a better understanding of what I want my books to look like. I encourage everyone to study as they read...

How many books have you read since Chautauqua? Are you keeping track of them?

Happy reading and writing.

4 comments:

Tess said...

Good for you, Sharon! My answer is : lots and no.

I do keep track of words and ideas and concepts, however. Those are my favorite thiings to collect.

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

I've had a very 'off' year for reading, so I've only read 30 books...all middle grade or YA novels.
I haven't read a book in weeks, but yesterday, I went out and bought Flipped because an agent reviewing Libby Jean said it reminded her of that book. Thought I better see what it was about.

Diana said...

Haha, Tess. Your answer reminds me of Bilbo when he was caught by the trolls and they asked him if there were any more of his sort. He said, "Lots. No, none at all." At least that's what sticks in my head. That's why your response made me smile. :)

Sharon, I haven't kept track, either...and though I've read a lot, I think you win on this one! :) Very impressive! I just bought Eileen Spinelli's DO YOU HAVE A HAT? It's a picture book that's fun with a little bit of history tucked in. It's one of the many we studied at the workshop. I'm going to study it a little more, then give it to my granddaughter. :)
Kim gave us a whole reading list of books that are good examples of Voice. Should I post it???

Tess said...

Diana: um....YES (please)