Wednesday, March 11, 2009

sometimes I hear voices...

So,I have been plotting my new novel idea for way too long (like four or five months) and have been struggling mightily with it. I have had the overall concept (girl, graveyard, ghostly happenings but somehow all realistic and not a typical paranormal read) for about a year. I came up with character names. I came up with great plot turns and ideas; but, it has not felt 'right'. Do you know what I am talking about? When plot meets voice and it is a perfect fit? Well, I haven't had it going on. I haven't actually written one single line of this book. Ugh! It has been frustrating! I have a good idea all plotted, but it doesn't feel organic to me...to my voice...to my desire. I mean, if you are going to spend years with a book you should feel emotionally connected to it, right????

So, I decided to forget it. Let it go. Someone else can write this paranormal book, but it ain't gonna be me, ya know??? Then I went to bed last night. I was tired. It had been a long day at work and home.

That is when I heard voices (ok, not really voices, but a strong impression and set of ideas). Adalee came to me and told me that she is NOT living in that house on the cemetery. Those are NOT her parents. She is just the girl next door. She has a totally different set if issues and that wierd/gifted family next door is where her best friend lives. Ta!da! I woke up with clairity. For the first time in MONTHS! Almost everything I knew about this story is wrong - but the story is there, and I will be the one to write it. Psycho? Maybe, but that's how I work.
---Tess

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is totally how it works! I've heard writers say they had whole novels plotted and suddenly a new character appears in chapter three. They have to toss everything and start over. But that's where the inspiration leads. Good for you for hearing the voice of your novel! I can't wait to read the WIP!!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I was really getting worried as I read your blog entry tonight...I'm so glad you found Adalee. I can't wait to get a chapter!