Wednesday, March 18, 2009

In search of voices

Well, I did it. I signed up for Kim Griswell's "Finding Your Voice" workshop, and will be packing my bags soon to head to the Pennsylvania hills. Tess, I read your blog and totally connect with what you're saying...about the place where plot and voice meet. I've been working on a novel for 4 years now, and can't get past the prologue. I have tons of notes, detailed character sketches, descriptions of places, and snippets of scenes - and lots and lots of chapter 1 variations (all scrapped). But it hasn't come together...not yet. I decided maybe there's just too much noise here; it's making it hard to hear the whisper that could be the missing puzzle piece. This will be a serious search for voices. I'll be so upset if I come back still mute!
Sure wish there'd be another wadette there too. I miss you guys!
--Diana

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Diana! You will have a fantastic conference...Kim really knows voice (I remember her workshops and even one of her food blessings that were amazing). It is so hard but you are a gifted writer/artist and will find your way! ps....I am on page 6 and really liking my novel's new direction!

Anonymous said...

You're going to have a great time!! And I bet you meet a whole other group of writers to keep in touch with!! Wish I could be there, but I'm up to my eyeballs in work stuff. Have enough fun for all of us!

The Wad said...

Thanks, friends!
Best wishes to both of you on your novels. Okay, Tess, how far are you now? Amy? When do you have to have the revisions in?
--Diana

Anonymous said...

We're revising chapter by chapter. One and two should be done -- just waiting to hear back after the last little tweaks. It's been over a week...still waiting. I'm ready to move on...

Anonymous said...

Have a fantastic time. I'm jealous! Wish we could all be there for a reunion...

Diana said...

Hi, Meadow!
That's my wish, too...